Williams triumphs over men's lacrosse 9-5

Posted by Katie Peverada

In the second half, the Skidmore College men's lacrosse team gave up a two-goal lead and seven unanswered goals to a potent Williams College on a cold Wednesday night at Wachenheim Field, eventually losing 9-5. Though the score does not indicate it, the game was very competitive, as each team was seeking its first win. The loss dropped Skidmore to 0-3 on the season and Williams moved to 1-1.
Play in the first half was very close, but Skidmore got the scoring started under five minutes into the contest when Henry Thomsett '16 put the Thoroughbreds up 1-0 with his second goal of the season. Thomsett found himself behind the Williams net with the ball and was able to work his way through several Williams defenders to fire a shot into the net as he fell to the ground. Williams quickly returned the favor and gained the lead. Joe Kinney scored with a shot from the left wing and then, taking advantage of a lackadaisical Skidmore defense, Thomas Fowler drove uncontested towards the net for an easy shot and goal. With time winding down in the first quarter, Skidmore took a timeout that would prove profitable, as Quinn Hawkins '14 was able to score the equalizer with a shot from the right side of the circle.
The second quarter was much of the same, with neither team able to get into a rhythm. Kevin Mulvey '16 scored the first of his two goals to open the second quarter scoring, firing a shot from in close on the right flank. Kinney responded again for Williams, getting a shot off through traffic that Matt Diaco '14 was unable to stop. Skidmore, though, would add two more goals before the half, as Mulvey streaked down the left side and fired a shot from the top of the circle. Then, with 13 seconds remaining, Mulvey again drove down the left side, this time feeding Seth Berger '14 in front of the net, who was able to put the Thoroughbreds up 5-3 going in to the half.
Williams came out for the second half warmed up and ready to break the game open. Williams poured on the shots in the first 10 minutes of the third quarter and the defense limited Skidmore to just one shot on goal. It was Williams that was able to find the back of the net first when Bryson Gilbert-Bono scored with 5:07 left on the clock. The Ephs added one more goal before time ran out and entered the fourth with the score tied but a huge advantage over the Skidmore offense.
Two straight goals from William's Conor Roddy, the first of which would prove to be the game winner, and one apiece from Anthony Evans and Fowler cemented the win for the Ephs. Skidmore did not go away easily, as they continued to press the Williams defense, but again only one of their shots was on net.
The Skidmore defense did all it could, as it faced 37 shots, 24 in the second half, and Diaco registered 11 saves. But the Thoroughbred offense never got going in the second, registering just two shots on goal. Williams also controlled the ground balls, picking up 32 to Skidmore's 25, and proved to be stronger in face-offs and clears. Mulvery finished with two goals and an assist, while Berger had one goal and one assist, and Hawkins and Thomsett both had a goal each.
Skidmore will travel to Brown University on Tuesday, Mar. 11, where they will look to beat Bates College for their first win of the season.

So You Have Senioritis? : What to do next

Campus Safety Reports: Feb. 21 to 27