What to Do Weekly: 2/19 - 2/26
(Poster by Sias-Payne Alex)
We’re just about at that halfway point between the start of the semester and Spring Break. Cure those mid-mid-semester blues with this range of events:
1. Bring the past to life. Janet Gyatso, Harvard Professor of Buddhist Studies, will be on campus tomorrow from 6-8pm in the Tang to give a talk titled “Bringing the Past to Life: Visions, Writing and Me.” The discussion will center on the Tibetan art of writing autobiography and how a modern scholar can connect with it. Incorporating both her scholarly work in Buddhist studies and this well-known form of storytelling, Prof. Gyatso will appeal to many through this event.
2. Find some new items. Case Center is set to house 20+ student vendors this Friday from 3-5pm at the Art and Clothing Sale. Looking for second-hand wardrobe staples or funky and original art? You know exactly where to go this week.
3. Celebrate beer. For all the of-age readers out there, today officially kicks off Saratoga’s 2019 Beer Week. Going until Saturday, Beer Week promises “fun, food and fantastic beer” with a string of events including Whiskey Night, Cider Night and a Beer Summit. That’s a lot of beer to bear.
4. Listen to or tell your own story. Every fourth Tuesday of the month marks Caffé Lena’s storytelling open mic night, which means Feb. 26 is your shot to tell that story you’ve been dying to get off your chest. $5 tickets for adults and free admission for students will buy you a night of fun, storytelling entertainment. Doors open at 6:30pm, stories start at 7pm.
5. Achieve total domination. At least on XBOX. Chillmore will be hosting their “XBOX Domination” night in Spa this Friday from 9pm-2am, featuring snacks, drinks and 8 large screens filled with popular games. Engage in some friendly competition (or ruthless takeovers) this weekend.